Monday 7 December 2015

For and To: Explaining Yourself




A: Why are you going to Hawaii?

B: I'm going there because I want to see the Aloha Festival.


The word because is very common. We use it to answer "why" questions, to express the reason or purpose of our actions, decisions, and opinions. 

In today's post, we will look at other ways of explaining actions, decisions, and opinions using:


to and for

 

 Let's look at the question at the top of the page:


A: Why are you going to Hawaii?


Here are other ways to answer the questions using the same information.



1- I'm going there to see the Aloha Festival.

2 - I'm going there for the Aloha Festival.


 You can also use a direct answer:

3 - I want to see the Aloha Festival.

  4 - I've wanted to see the Aloha Festival since I was 10.


Answer 1 and 2 have the same meaning, but, the grammar is different. 

We use "to" before the base form of verbs (e.g., see, go, eat). 

"For" is followed by nouns (people, places, things, ideas). 


Now let's do the following exercises. 

Complete the sentences below using to, or for

Be careful: one question is a direct answer, and doesn't need "to" or "for".  You may use the comments section to write your answers.







 Immigration Staff: Hello, welcome to England. What is the purpose of your visit.

Traveler: I'm here _______ a conference in London.




A: What brings you to downtown Tokyo?

B: I'm here ____ watch the Samba Festival.







A: Sorry, I can't have any beer. I'm _____ driving home tonight.






A: Why do you like the Nexus smartphones?

B: I use Nexus phones _____ their speed, and they're user-friendly.




A: I'm sorry, but, do we really need to have another meeting?

B: Yes, we do. We're having this meeting _____ plan next year's sales campaign. 



Bonus Exercise: Re-write the sentences with "to" and "for" using direct answers.


No comments:

Post a Comment