Sunday 17 April 2016

Business English: Reported Speech


Please read the short dialogue below.

April 1st, 2016

Jiro: So, did Ms Rashid tell you what she needed for the conference next month?

Kim: Yes, I spoke with her yesterday evening. She asked if we could book a hotel conference hall in 
          the city center. I told her it would be more expensive, but she said location was more      
           important than price

Jiro: Good. Has she confirmed how many people will be attending the conference?

Kim: She said there would be 250 people attending.  Have you found a suitable hotel to book?

Jiro: Yes, I have. The Meridian Hotel. The manager said there were two conference halls available. But, he asked if we could confirm the booking by tomorrow morning.





In the dialogue abover, Kim and Jiro used reported speech.

We use reported speech to pass on information, requests, or statements from other people. We can also use it when talking about things we've said ourselves (I told Mr Kato I would...). It's also useful for correcting misunderstandings.


Grammar


RIGHT CLICK TO ENLARGE


(infographic by Grammar Worm )

We use reported speech to talk about things people said in the past. So, we change the verbs to past tense. Let's "go back in time" to March 31st, and Kim's conversation with Ms Rashid (using direct speech)

March 31st, 2016

Ms Rashid: Can you book a hotel conference hall in the city center?

Kim: Certainly, but it will be more expensive.

Ms Rashid: That's fine. The location is more important to me than the price. 

April 1st, 2016

Kim: Yes, she asked if we could book a hotel conference hall in the city center. I told her it would  be more expensive, but she said location was more important than price.


If we're using reported speech to talk about a Yes/No question, we use "if".

direct speech: Can you book a hotel conference hall in the city center?

reported speech: (She) asked if we could book a hotel conference hall in the city center. 


If it's a "wh"/how question, we follow the subject-verb agreement rules.


direct speech: When does the new manager take over?

reported speech: He asked when the new manager takes over. 



Exercise

Change the sentences with the words in bold below from direct speech to reported speech. The first question is done as an example.

1/




Bob: I won't put salt on my food anymore.

Aiko: That's a good idea. Salt isn't good  for you


________________________________________

Aiko: Bob said he wouldn't put salt on his food anymore.

Yuta: Good for him. 


2/ 

Rene: The meeting will be in room 117 tomorrow. 

Phil: Okay. I'll remember.

_______________________________________

Phil: The meeting will be in 170

Rene: No, I ____ you the meeting _____ be in room 117 not 170.

(Note: if someone misunderstands something you said, put an accent on the correct information).


3/

Jean: I'm pretty sure Anna likes old Batman comic books

Luca: Thanks, I'll try and find one for her birthday.

_______________________________________

Anna: Wow! Batman! How did you know I liked these comic books?

Luca: Jean _____me he _____ pretty sure you _____Batman comics.


4/

Pilar: Chris, can you do the budget planning? Tio,you will  lead the sales team. Okay?

Chris: No problem

Tio: Sure, but, I'll need a few days to put the team together.

________________________________

Kim: Who did Pilar choose for her project team?

Shun: She ______ ____ Chris _____ the budget planning. And, she _____ Tio he _____ ____the sales team. Tio ____ he _____ _____ a few days to ____ the team _______.



5/

 John: Could you keep the music down, please? 

Lina: I'm sorry, but we're not playing any music. Your neighbours across the hall are having party. You should talk to them.

John: I see. I'll go talk to them.  Sorry to disturb you.


_______________________________________________


Emi: Who was that?

Lina: Our neighbour. He ____ us to _____ our music _____. I ____ him we ______  _____ music. I  ____ he should _____ to his neighbours across the hall.

Emi: I hope he apologized.

Lina: Yes, he _____ he _____ sorry to ______ us.


For more on reported speech, Engvid's Ronnie has an interesting video lesson.

 



1 comment: