Wednesday 6 July 2016

Grammatical Correctness VS Conversational English


First, let's me just say: having good grammar is important, but, in the goal in learning and using any language is communication. So, today, we're going to look at examples of where conversational English isn't always grammatically correct but is still okay.
People are often confused about when to use "I" and "me". Please look at my "mistake" from an online grammar quiz.

Of course, "It is I" is correct grammar, but, not many people it in day-to-day conversation.

For example.

(phone rings three times)

A: Hello. Bill speaking. How can I help you?

B: Hi, Bill. It's me

A: Oh...Hello Paula.

"It is I" is grammatically correct, but, it sounds like old English.  The most common, natural answer to a question like "Who is it?" is "It's me". Or when two people who know each other very well speak on the telephone will often say "It's me".




Another common grammatical error is "I wish I was (a millionaire)". When talking about imaginary situations in the present, we use "I wish I were (a millionaire)". 

In this case, both sound natural. Using "was" isn't correct grammar, but in everyday conversation it won't stop good communication. If you can communicate your point and people understand you, then the grammar mistakes you make aren't too serious.

BUT

Try to use correct grammar and build your vocabulary.


BUT

Focus on keeping the conversation going and having fun.

REMEMBER

Native English speakers often make grammar mistakes when they're speaking. So don't worry too much about small, grammatical errors when you're having a friendly conversation outside of the ESL class.


Advice


To improve grammar and learn new words, I recommend reading (books, websites, magazines, etc). Grammatical accuracy is more important in writing than it is in conversation, so reading is very useful. 

Of course, your English language skills will improve faster if you practice and use English outside the classroom. Try and make friends with other English speakers.

For home study,  Essentials of English Grammar is an excellent textbook for ESL learners.
















 











No comments:

Post a Comment