Tuesday 22 November 2016

Phrasal Verbs: Put


 I'm not putting you on when I tell you that learning phrasal verbs is essential for ESL learners. Today's post will focus on phrasal verbs using "put".


Please read the dialogue below.


natto: fermented soy beans

 Mina: Jason-sensei, would you like some natto?

Jason: No, thank you, Mina. I don't eat natto.

Mina: But it's delicious. Why don't you eat?

Jason: The smell puts me off.

Mina: I'm not put off by the smell. I love the flavour.

 Here put off /put someone off , or put off by something means to make someone not want to do or try something.

Phrasal verbs are difficult because the meaning isn't always clear. Often one phrasal verb can have more than one meaning. The best way to get the meaning is usually by looking at the situation.


Exercise 1

Look at the picture and choose the correct meaning of put + preposition.

1/

Lila: Julian! Guess what!

Julia: What?

Lila: The meeting is cancelled; we can go home early.
Julia: Great! I'll shut down my pc then -

Lila: Ha! Ha! Ha!

Julia: Ha! Ha! You're putting me on again, aren't you?

To put someone on means:

a) to wear another person's clothes
b) to  trick someone, play a joke on someone
c) to lie to someone
d) to carry someone on your shoulders

2/

My buddy, Jiro, wants to break up with his girlfriend, but he's afraid she'll do something crazy. As a result he keeps putting the breakup off. I think he'll end up marrying her.

to put something off means:

a) to cancel doing something difficult or stressful
b) to move something to a different place
c) to postpone doing something difficult or stressful
d) to do something another person doesn't like


3/

Teaching kids is fun but ESL instructors often have to put up with a lot of noise, runny noses, and crying.

put up with (something/someone) means:

a) to put something up on the wall
b) to reject something
c) to hold something up
d) to tolerate, bear, or endure something


4/

Boss: Let me put it to you this way - do the job the way I want it done or I'll find someone else to do
          it.

 put (something) to (someone) means:

a) to give something to someone
b) to refuse to explain something to someone
c) to give directions
d) to give someone an explanation for something.

5/

Brett: Damn! I'm broke again!
Payam: Try putting  %5 of your income aside everyday. You'll find you have more money.

to put (something) aside means:

a) to save something for a later day/time
b) to put something to the side
c) to hide something
d) to steal something


Exercise 2
 Complete the dialogues and passages below with the correct preposition(s). 

This exercise is challenging because there are no pictures. The next post will have the answers for this exercise. As always, you can write answers in the comments section.

1/ 

Pete: Hi, Junichi?
Junichi: Hello, Pete! You're calling very late. What's up?
Pete: I've missed the last train back home. Can you put me _ for the night.

a) through
b) up
c) over
d) down


2

Mr Widenhopp calls his students "stupid" or  "idiot" every time they ask a question. He just makes them feel bad about themselves by constantly putting them ____.

a) through
b) up
c) down
d) by


3/

A: Hello, ABC Company. How may I direct your call?
B: Good morning. My name's Rob Messer. I'd like to speak with Ms Lillian Chang, please.
A: Certainly, Mr Messer. Please hold the line. I'll put you _____to her office.

a) across
b) over
c) at
d) through


4/

Pete: Thanks for letting me stay over, Junichi. I'm sorry to put you ____ .
Junichi: It was no trouble, Pete. I was happy I could help. 
Pete: Yeah, but, it was late, you had to unroll a futon, get sheets - and you made breakfast too.


5/

A: Ms Croft is a tough customer.
B: Why is that?
A: I can't put it ___ to her that sales doesn't handle technical problems. She
    calls me whenever her network is down.












No comments:

Post a Comment