Tuesday 6 December 2016

Everything vs Anything - What's The Difference?

Today's post answers one of the many questions that many ESL learners have asked me.

What's the difference between everything and anything?




Read the two dialogues below.


Brazilian BBQ

Lila: Oh, the Brazilian barbecue place we went to yesterday was amazing!
Hyo: Yes, I liked the sausages wrapped in bacon best. How about you?
Lila: I loved everything on the menu. 
Hyo: I remember. You tried all the meat.


Iguana meat

Torres: How was your holiday in Jalisco, Mexico, Yuri?
Yuri: It was great! I tried an exotic Mexican dish there.
Torres: What did you have?
Yuri: Grilled iguana. It was so delicious.
Torres: Yuck 😝! You'll eat anything, won't you?

Basically...

Everything = all things 

Anything = any one thing


Exercise 

Complete the dialogues and sentences with everything or anything.

1/



Jewoon: You're my quest, Renata. Help yourself to whatever is in the fridge.
Renata: Wow! Thanks. That's so generous.
Jewoon: Oh! You can have _________ you want - except for the wine. It's a gift for my mom.

2/

Alex: There's so much to do in Barbados. I want to do __________ on the itinerary.
Chloe: We're only here for three more days. There's only enough time for one or two activities.
Alex: Okay, let's go spelonking, then sailing.
Chloe: Good idea.

3

Taiga: Did you hear? Chika's guest house was robbed while she at work.
Dienefer: Oh, no...Was anyone hurt?
Taiga: No one was hurt but the thieves took __________ valuable in the house. 
Dienefer: That's awful. How will she replace all her things?

4


Shohei: Oh, God! Miyu, did you put ketchup on your steak!?
Miyu: Yeah. So?
Shohei: You shouldn't put ketchup on a steak. 
Miyu: I can put __________ I want on my steak, Shohei.

5/

Ali: I don't like Batman comic books - they're too dark and edgy these days.
Carolina: You're crazy. I'm a huge Batman fan.
Ali: Is there __________ you don't like about Batman comics?
Carolina: No, not all. The stories, the art, the supporting characters - I like 
               _________ about Batman.




No comments:

Post a Comment