Monday 28 March 2022

Mixed Conditionals


 We've covered the zero conditional and the first, second, and third conditional. If I hadn't done a lesson on mixed conditionals last week, I wouldn't be writing this post now. 


You write a conditional sentence about two different times. 

PAST ACTION/CONDITION      PRESENT RESULT

If + past perfect                               present conditional

  • If I hadn't gone to Japan in 2000 to teach ESL, I would  probably be a customer service worker now.
  • would  probably be a customer service worker now if I hadn't gone to Japan in 2000 to teach ESL




(Note: There's no comma when you write the if-clause last.)

.

_________________________________________________________________

PRESENT ACTION/CONDITION            PAST RESULT

If + simple past                                                perfect conditional

If Bob were more a more patient driver, he wouldn't have got that speeding ticket.



Bob wouldn't have got that speeding ticket if he were more a more patient driver.



Todd McFarlane hurt himself playing baseball. So, he became a comic book artist.

If Todd McFarlane hadn't hurt himself playing baseball, he wouldn't be a comic book artist and entertainment company owner .               ↓                                                                        ↓

     Past Condition/Action                                         Present Result 


If you're interested, you can read our posts on the zero conditional and the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd conditional.


Below are exercises from EF Languages AbroadTest English, and Exam English.


Mixed Conditionals | B2 | Exam English

Mixed Conditionals | If I Were You... | Test English 

Mixed Conditional | EF Hello (exercises include audio 🔊)


Writing Task

Write a short paragraph or two imagining an alternate reality/life. For example, 



After working a lot of boring, low-pay jobs, I moved to Japan in April 2000 to teach English. If I hadn't become an ESL instructor, I would be stuck in a job I hate. I wouldn't have met so many fascinating people and made new, life-long friends if I had stayed in Canada.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Nice Blog,
    Online IELTS Course in Noida -If you are looking to work, live or study in an English-speaking country, then you must be able to demonstrate a high level of English language ability.

    ReplyDelete