Sunday 15 November 2015

Business English: Making A Phone Call/Leaving A Message


Last month, we talked about answering the phone and taking messages. In this post, we'll go over language for making business phone calls, leaving a message, and calling a non-English speaking country.


Firstalways "have a smile in your voice" when you're talking on the phone, especially in a business situation. Even if you make a grammar mistake, use the wrong words, etc, if you sound friendly, you'll get better results from a phone call.



Now, let's look at an example of "bad phone manners" from a caller. What mistakes did the caller make?


Receiver: Good morning, ABC Company, sales office. How may we help you today?

Caller: Bob Jones, please.

Receiver: Certainly, may I ask who's calling, please?

Caller: Jim Porter.

Receiver: Please hold, Mr Porter. I'll put you through to Mr Jones.

(phone rings five times)

Receiver: Hello? Sorry to keep you waiting, Mr Porter. I am afraid Mr Jones isn't at his desk at the moment. May I take a message?

Caller: Please tell him to call me back at 514-867-5555,  and that I'll be in Vancouver tomorrow afternoon, around 3.

Receiver: I see. Your number is 514-867-5555, and you'll be in Vancouver tomorrow afternoon, around 3? Is that correct, Mr Porter.

Caller: Yes. Goodbye.

Receiver: Thank you for calling, Mr Porter. I'll make sure Mr Jones gets your message. Have a good day.


*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

*
*
*
*
1st mistake: The caller didn't greet the receiver. Even if you're a customer/client, a friendly greeting makes your business calls more effective. The caller did use the word please, but, again, this can still sound rude. It's a good idea to use a more polite, indirect question.


Receiver: Good morning, ABC Company, sales office. How may we help you today?

Caller: Good morning. May I speak to Mr Bob Jones, please?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


2nd mistake: The caller didn't give any extra information like his company name,  job title, why he's calling, etc,  with his name. The more information you give, the better people can help you connect with the right person.

Receiver: Certainly, may I ask who's calling, please?

Caller: Yes, this is Jim Porter from DEF Company. I'm calling to confirm my meeting with Mr Jones tomorrow at 4:30.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


3rd mistake: The caller used direct (rude) language when he left his message. Again, polite indirect questions are best when you're leaving a message.

Receiver: Hello? Sorry to keep you waiting, Mr Porter. I am afraid Mr Jones isn't at his desk at the moment. May I take a message?

Caller: Could you ask Mr Jones to call me back at 514-867-5555? Also, could you tell him I'll be in Vancouver tomorrow afternoon around 3, please? 

We use "ask" when making a request (to call back, send a fax, etc).

"Tell" is used for giving information (room numbers, arrival times, dates, etc). You can also use the phrase, let (him) know.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 4th mistake: The caller didn't thank the receiver for her/his help, or even ask her/his name. Again, being friendly on the phone makes doing business easier. Getting the receiver's name is a good idea in case there's a communication problem later.


Receiver: I see. Your number is 514-867-5555, and you'll be in Vancouver tomorrow afternoon, around 3? Is that correct, Mr Porter.

Caller: Yes, that's correct. By the way, to whom am I speaking?

Receiver: My name is Linda.

Caller: Thank you for your help today, Linda. Have a good day.

Receiver: Thank you for calling, Mr Porter. I'll make sure Mr Jones gets your message. Have a good day.



Calling Non-English Speaking Countries 





 English is the international language of business. Still, it's a good idea to learn a few, native language expressions of the country you're calling. 

Google Translate is useful, and YouTube has many videos on how to make calls in different languages (here's a link for French calls ). For example, if you're calling a French speaking country:

Bonjour. Puis-je parler à Peter, s'il vous plaît? = Good morning. Can I speak to Peter, please?

Je suis vraiment désolé. Je ne parle pas français. Parlez-vous anglais? = I am very sorry. I don't speak French. Do you speak English?  

Always try using the native language first. People will always appreciate your efforts to communicate with them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment