Sunday 20 March 2016

Business English: Making Complaints


Unhappy with a service or product? Do you have a customer or compliant complaint? Today's post will be about how to make complaints, both politely and strongly.




Making Complaints



The Basics

 First, if there's a problem with a product or service, don't get angry. Anger makes people uncomfortable, and often won't help the business correct the weak points in its service or product.

Stay calm, and explain clearly why you're unhappy, and offer possible solutions to the problem. Businesses appreciate feedback and will take positive action to make customers or clients happy. 




The Language of Complaints



Let's start with examples about service and food in restaurants. The problems customers can experience are common, and very easy to understand. Please note, the language and vocabulary here can be used in any business or social situation.

Please study the photo and read the dialogue below:



Customer: Excuse me.

Server: Yes, ma'am. How can I help you?

Customer: I'm sorry, but (this isn't the pie) I ordered. I ordered (the apple pie).

Server: I'm terribly sorry. I'll go and get your apple pie right away. Again, my apologies.

Customer: Thank you very much.


Notice, the customer began with "I'm sorry, but". Saying this prepares the server for the complaint. It also "softens" what you're going to say.

Other phrases you can use:

I hate to complain, but....

I'm afraid that....


Again, don't get angry: mistakes happen. Like on the phone, be sure to "have a smile in your voice". 




Using Adjectives 


Often we use adjectives when complaining, usually with "too" or "not ___ enough". For example:





Customer: I'm afraid these French fries are too (salty).




Customer: I hate to complain, but (this burger) isn't (big) enough

You can use "not enough"  or "not have enough___" with nouns.

There isn't enough parmesan on the Ceasar salad.

My ramen doesn't have enough noodles.


Remember: in restaurants, don't blame the server for problems with food. Servers don't prepare or taste the meals before bringing them to your table. Any issues with the food quality starts with the management and the kitchen. 
Getting Angry





Yes, I did write "don't get angry", but there are rare times where you may have to make a strong complaint.

Important: this doesn't mean shouting or using bad language.

Take a few minutes, watch the short video: listen to the customers' tone of voice.



Notice, the customers didn't shout or use bad words. They were direct, yes, but not rude. Also, they weren't upset about one small problem, but several problems. The customers also explained in detail why they were unhappy.

Here are more phrases you can use to complain strongly:

This is unacceptable.

I'd like to speak with (the manager/your supervisor), please.

I'm not at all happy with (the service) I received here (today).


Be sure to put a hard accent on the key words. 

Explaining Complaints




Approach a complaint like a presentation. Use sequencing language ( discussed in the post on giving street directions) so that it's clear why you're unhappy with the service.

First, it was 20 minutes before we received any service.

Then, the wine glasses weren't clean.

Next, the server brought the wrong food-twice.


A complaint should always be clear, polite, and focused. This will help the staff and management business help you, and improve their product or service.












No comments:

Post a Comment