Saturday 12 November 2016

CAN vs BE ABLE TO



I hope I can show you how to to use can and  be able to with this post.




Read the phone conversation below.

Diana: Hello? Bill?

Bill: Hi, Diana? How was the trip to Chicago?

Diana: It went very well but my flight back to Vancouver has been cancelled.
           I won't be able to attend the staff meeting tomorrow morning, I'm afraid.

Bill: You can't get an alternate flight?

Diana: No, all flights to Vancouver are booked. Can you ask Kana to go to the meeting instead?

Bill: Sure, no problem.


Both can and  be able to are used in the present tense. They both express general ability. However, there's a difference. You can't use can with will or going to.Look at the examples.

I will can come to the party tomorrow. x


I can come to the party tomorrow or I'll be able to come to the party tomorrow. √ 

Also, can is a modal verb; able to is a combination of be + the adverb able + to +  infinitive. In formal situations, be able to is more commonly used. Can is more common in daily conversation.

Exercise

Complete the sentences using can, could, or be able to. You can use both can or be able tob in at least one question.  As always, answers can be written in the comments section.

1/ _________you help me carry this box? It's very heavy.

2/ I'm afraid I won't__________come join you for dinner. 

3/ In the future, people will___________treat illnesses without seeing a doctor.

4/ Do you think Maryam_____________ replace Kevin on the sales team? 

5/ You_____________park here. This is space is only for handicapped drivers.

6/ Excuse me, ___________we ____________ add one more guest to our 
     dinner reservation?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment