Monday 16 September 2024

Future Conditional


 "I will update my ESL blog when I have more time", I promised a group of students. That day has arrived. We'll take a look at the future conditional and other future time clauses.

English has many ways to express or talk about the future. One of them is using the future conditional. A lot of students have difficulty with this tense. A common mistake is using will twice. For example,

  • When I will retire, I will move to the countryside. 🗴

When describes the condition; the will clause is about the result or action. So, the correct form is:

  • When I retire, I will move to the countryside.
  • I will movee to the countryside when I retire.

Other future time clauses include unless, until, as soon as, before, and after.

Examples

  • We'll start the meeting as soon as Patrick gets here.
  • Unless you improve your test scores, you won't graduate next year.
  • I won't move out of my parents house until I am 19. 
  • After I finish this page, I'll take a break.
  • Melanie will stop by to help you before she leaves the office.

© Test English


Exercise

Write sentences using the future conditional with the words and phrases below the photo plus when, as soon as, until, before, and after.


I/get/my own apartment/ am/21

I'll get my my own when I am 21.

When I am 21, I'll get my own apartment. 

OR

I won't get my own apartment until I am 21.



Marc/play soccer/he/twelve 


We/go for/hike this weekend/rains



I/stay in Montreal/June/then/go back home


More Exercises


Future Conditional Forms | English Grammar (scroll down for links to the exercises)

No comments:

Post a Comment